Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I OWN A 11 YR OLD GSD WHO HAS ARTHRITIS IN S LEFT SHOULDER &

Customer Question

I OWN A 11 YR OLD GSD WHO HAS ARTHRITIS IN HIS LEFT SHOULDER & HIP. I HAVE USED DMSO FOR THIS ON HORSES WITH GOOD RESULTS. I ALSO USE IT MY SELF WITH GOOD RESULTS. ARE THERE ANY GOOD REASONS WHY I SHOULDN'T USE IT ON MY DOG?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I feel so bad for Hasso....DMSO is often used in dogs for musculoskeletal issues so this may help Hasso along with the medications. I would also recommend that you give him a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store. This will add lubrication to his joints to ease his discomfort. I am afraid, though, since sweet Hasso is so young, that surgical intervention may be required for long term health.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****