Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My name's ***** *****, my 14 month old Newfoundland is

Customer Question

My name's ***** *****, my 14 month old Newfoundland is losing her hair, she usually has a thick coat but now she almost looks like a lab
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's loosing her hair for some reason
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This may be normal for her since the weather is changing and often they will lose their undercoat. If there are patches of fur that have been lost and she is scratching, then this could be due to an allergic reaction that will respond to Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. There are other metabolic issues such as a thyroid condition that can cause this hair loss but your gal is quite young for this. If there is no response, have your vet run blood work including a thyroid panel to be sure.

There are infections, autoimmune diseases and metabolic issues that can cause this and this may require testing. Hopefully, this is normal for your gal and no treatment will be required.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, she also scratches herself all the time
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If the hair loss is normal will she have a thin coat all summer?

If she is scratching, try the Benadryl and double check for fleas or areas of skin that appear red and irritated. This breedw ill lose the undercoat but leave the thinner coat. This should last all summer if this is normal for your gal.