Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog got into a leftover ham hock. A very big

Customer Question

My dog got into a leftover ham hock. A very big one…..probably around 10 inches long…..and, before I knew about it….he at the whole thing. I am worried about the small pieces in his intesteronal tract and colon. He has already thrown up. Is there anything that I can do home remedy wise?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. Just the huge bone. I knew he was not feeling well. Im sure all that mess in his belly.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No. Hes a "stinker-doddle". LOL……my fault leaving the ham hock out. He is still throwing up. Thats about it…..
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog ate this large bone. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am not worried about small pieces in his intestinal tract; those likely will pass. I am worried if he swallowed a large piece; that could cause a blockage. Dogs have been known to swallow pieces large enough to cause intestinal obstruction. How big a dog is he?

The other concern is pancreatitis, which would also cause vomiting. How old is he? We usually see pancreatitis in dogs older than 4.

How long ago did he get the ham hock?

You can give famotidine (Pepcid AC) for vomiting. I need his weight to give you the dose. However, if he has an intestinal blockage or pancreatitis, he will probably need medical attention.

If he were mine, I would not try to feed him, but would try to get him to drink. He needs to stay hydrated. If he won't drink, or if everything he drinks comes back up, then I would take an Xray to see how big the bone pieces are. If the bone pieces are not that big, I would next do a blood test for pancreatitis especially if he is over 4 years old.

Check his gums, are they pink? If he has a blockage or pancreatitis, his gums might look pale.

Let me know how he is doing and what other questions I can answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I hope you are able to see what I wrote earlier! How is he doing?