Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

He has bumps bu s penis && keeps biting down there, Ali. hes

Customer Question

He has bumps bu his penis && keeps biting down there
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ali . hes 4 1/2 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ali?
Customer: He has a really bad nibbling and chewing problem . hes a pitbull . he breathes funny when hes asleep and wines or barks like hes having a bad dream
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How large are the bumps by his penis? Sometimes puppies will have "puppy pyoderma" where they break out in raised red bumps and are itchy. These bumps are usually small, less than 1/4th inch. Usually puppy pyomderma resolves on its own, but sometimes taking antibiotics is necessary. You can try applying Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment to the bumps.

This could also be some kind of allergic reaction to something. Benadryl might help if these are hives or some allergic reaction. The dose of Benadryl is 1 mg per pound, so a 25 pound dog takes 25 mg, 2 to 3 times daily.

Has he had all his vaccinations?

If Benadryl does not help, I would have him checked by your veterinarian to see if he needs antibiotics. Let me know how he is doing and if this is helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I hope you are able to see what I wrote earlier! How is your puppy? Can I answer any more of your questions?