Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Seven year old dog played fetch today, running, fetching,

Customer Question

Seven year old dog played fetch today, running, fetching, and jumping. An hour later, lightly limping. Now, bedtime cannot put weight on her rear right leg. Thigh muscle feels larger then right one. I have video of her trying to stand.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you post your video (ie YouTube) and paste the link here for me to see what Sheba is doing?

Does she bear any weight on it at all?

Does she drag it or hold it up?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not putting weight on it. Holding it up. Food and water offered, she had large drink and few bites of dry dog food (bowl was offered right under her nose as isn't trying to walk)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you,

Were you able to post your video?

Will she even touch her toes to the floor?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i dont know how to share my video with you...blah. My son has let me know he is taking her to his vetrinarian first thing in the morning . I am going to keep her comfortable as possible . Thank you. I appreciate your quick response and questions. Do you have suggestion of what this may be? Hmm..touches toes at attempt to rise but quickly raises leg.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

No worries, my dear.

Based on what you have described, we do have a few concerns. Now to start I am glad Sheba can at least toe touch since that makes hip dislocation less likely. As well, since she can hold the leg up, we’d also rule out nerve/spine differentials and would have to be suspicious of a possible fracture (which if in the tibia/fibula can be tricky since one acts as a splint for the other), severe muscle strain or tendon tear or rupture.

In regards ***** ***** to this situation, I think having her seen is best with how sore she sounds. In the meantime, we want her to keep resting herself and if she is amenable, you can consider massaging or warm compressing the area. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use). And once her vet is open, we can get this checked and most important get her onto some dog safe pain relief/anti-inflammatory medication (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc) to reduce any swelling and discomfort and get her using the leg properly again sooner.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you. We will get her care first thing in the morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)