Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Well we rescued an wolf...pure bred...and I think he has

Customer Question

Well we rescued an wolf...pure bred...and I think he has mites. His ears are really bothering him and I'm not sure if I can treat his ears like a dog.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the wolf can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the wolf's name and age?
Customer: Bones and he is 3yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bones?
Customer: No...
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The wolf is so closely related to the domestic dog that the possible ear diseases will be just the same and treated in much the same way as you would in pet dogs.

2. I think the first thing to do is to make sure of the diagnosis, if bones will let you handle him then you should gently took a sample of the stuff in his ears with a cotton bud and looked at it with any lens you have you might be able to see the ear mites as very small white dots moving about. That movement would clinch the diagnosis.

3. If this is the case then the over the counter ear mite drops from pets stores or from your vet as most of them are very effective as all they contain are insecticides, they actually do work well. You would give them for five days, wait five days and then dose again for a further five days to catch any newly hatched mites.

3. If you do not see ear mites then there are a number of other possible causes including fungal infection and bacterial infection. If this is the case you would be better to see your vet as products which contain prescription drugs such as antibiotics will be the best.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bones is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his ear mites ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott