Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Lory, One of my 18 month old labradoodles ate up to 3 - 10mg

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: One of my 18 month old labradoodles ate up to 3 - 10mg prednisone tablets. Or they could have shared. What should I do?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me the weights of your dogs so I can calculate the level of concern with this ingestion as well as how long ago it occurred? Thank you

Luckily this will not be a toxic ingestion but may cause gi upset tonight on whoever ingested the medications

I would advise taking a few precautions tonight for both dogs:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the prednisone pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Tonight please feed a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken because prednisone should not be administered on an empty stomach

If there is vomiting tonight then please no further meals and wait until morning to repeat the smaller meals of bland diet but if you make it the 12 hours without any symptoms you should be fine. If vomiting is not subsiding please see your veterinarian in the morning

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today, I am online another 15 minutes to assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how are your dogs doing? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman