Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Puppy, girl, fox hound mix, 3.5 mo old, 25 lbs, may have

Customer Question

Puppy, girl, fox hound mix, 3.5 mo old, 25 lbs, may have eaten some pristiq 100Mg pills. Found open bottle in back yard. We tried Hydrogen peroxide (1 teasp per 10 lbs) twice about 15 min apart. She did not vomit. Her brother, same liter, did vomit and all was clear. What should we do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the hound's name?
Customer: Copper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Copper?
Customer: Both dogs are behaving normally. They are hungry as we did not feed them tonight after discovering the pill bottle.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear that your pet ingested an anti-depressant drug. This particular drug unfortunately has no clinical studies in pets as it is newer on the market, however it can be expected to have similar symptoms as other antidepressant drugs out on the market at potentially toxic levels which includes vomiting, extreme lethargy, and dangerously low blood pressure.

If the hydrogen peroxide did not induce vomiting I would highly recommend taking your pet to the vet for a brief examination to gather Copper's vitals and also blood pressure to ensure no medical treatment is needed for her. Also if the ingestion was suspected to have occurred within the last 2 hrs (maximum) then they can induce vomiting by administering another medication called apomorphine, which is given Intravenously. - Dr. H

Did the other pet vomit up any visible pills still intact?