Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

We think he swallowed a wooden chess piece, about an inch

Customer Question

We think he swallowed a wooden chess piece, about an inch and a half long. He didn't chew it, we think he just swallowed it, but we're not sure. We gave him hydrogen peroxide and he threw up a few times, but no chess piece came up. Do we need to get him an x-ray, or do we wait to see what happens?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Golden retriever, 8 mos. old, named Duncan
JA: How old is Duncan?
Customer: 8 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duncan?
Customer: no, he's a healthy dog. he doesn't look like he's in any pain or discomfort right now
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please give me an idea of how big Duncan is in size?

I am definitely concerned about this chess piece not being able to pass through the small intestine without causing an obstruction if he didn't chew it at all and would consider an x-ray tonight to determine if he did in fact ingest this chess piece. If so, they may be able to use an endoscope or camera into the stomach to retrieve the piece and avoid surgery versus waiting until tomorrow when this option may not be viable

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Duncan doing? Did you go to the er? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman