Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My dog has ringworm on s belly and on s legs--is there an

Customer Question

my dog has ringworm on his belly and on his legs--is there an ointment or oral med that I can purchase over the counter
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 12 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear that your pet has suspected ringworm. I assume you have seen ringworm before on a pet, it can look quite different than ringworm on people. However if you are fairly confident this is ringworm (which typically is confirmed with a skin scraping or fungal culture) then topical anti-fungal ketoconazole is the only effective and safe treatment in dogs. I am into a lot of herbalist medicine that has looked into Garlic, Eucalyptus Oil and herbs but most are too toxic for pets and therefore not recommended.

Therefore the only over the counter medication that I have found to provide some relief is this one http://www.petsmart.com/supplies-training/shampoo-conditioner/gnc-pets-anti-bacterial-and-anti-fungal-dog-conditioner-zid36-5194332/cat-36-catid-100102?_t=pfm%3Dsearch

However the problem with this conditioner, as well as others, is that the concentration of ketoconazole is so low at 0.25%. So adding in a topical cream like this one http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-clotrimazole-antifungal-cream/ID=prod6091175-product may be useful.

You also have to clip the hair to remove fungal spores that attach to the hair follicles which will delay improvement of the skin.

Ketoconazole pills are recommended to treat ringworm infection but I cannot condone their use without a confirmed fungal infection because of the implications it have on my veterinary license due to me not having examined your pet in person. However, if you find a low cost clinic they should be able to prescribe these for a cheaper price for you if you have financial limitations here.

I hope this helps!

Would you also like for me to take a look at the skin? You can send a picture if you want. - Dr. H