petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog has been limping 3 weeks ago. i took m to the vet 2

Customer Question

my dog has been limping 3 weeks ago. i took him to the vet 2 weeks and my vet check and gave him antibiotics and pain killer. my dogs is still limping. he can put pressure on all 4 legs but he does lift his front right paw up often. i was able to bend his wrist, arm, shoulders without any issue. though when i try to touch his paw sometimes he will show his teeth. also noticed that his left front leg has more muscle that his right side.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes i did and my vet also checked all 4 paws 2 weeks ago. he cleaned the area, trimmed the fur, and even cut his nails.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: chewie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chewie?
Customer: nope, hes been a healthy active dog. he does like to jump on couch and bed and jump back down. my vet did tell me not to do that until he gets better. i was also told not to take my dogs out for walks until he gets better (limit to what he can do until he gets better). he is eating as usual. nothing so different except he limps, lifts his right paw, less muscle on right arm. thats probably all
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Did your vet mention any further testing if he didn't improve?

Were any xrays taken?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
X-ray was taken and no broken bones or it didn't show anything. I did speak to my vet and he stated that I should take my dog to a specialist (orthopedic ). I did call the number that was given from my vet and scheduled for an exam which is scheduled for wednesday. But it is just an exam and I'm sure they won't find the cause unless they do another x-ray or other exam.
I've checked chewie all 4 legs for stiffness and nothing. His limping occurs more after he lays or sits for a period of time. He did jump off from beds, couch, chairs often before limping occured. He was an active dog who would go for at least mile walk every day, hiking every other month, n we leave our back door open for him to go in and out.
Not sure if age also matters but he will be 11 years old in july. My Co worker told me that the older they are, it takes longer to heal.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I forgot to mention, he seems better than 3 weeks ago when I first saw him limping. He does walk around the house and yard more than 3 weeks ago but his walking is not as smooth/calmer.
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, it is true that older dogs are prone to more orthopedic problems and can take longer to heal from an acute orthopedic injury. He may just need more time. On top of that, if there is muscle atrophy on the affected leg, a specialist can help to determine if there is still active disease or chronic disease. If it is an active problem, rest, physical therapy, surgery or medical treatment may still be the best therapeutic option, but if it is a chronic problem, a more long standing therapy may be needed.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Z