Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My dogs stole my onion rings - not sure which one ate them

Customer Question

My dogs stole my onion rings - not sure which one ate them or both. There were four fried onion rings. Tank is a great Dane/ pit weighs 85 pounds and gray-ce is a mastiff/ pit and is about 100 pounds. Very worried. Not sure how bad this is. Or what to look for. Please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No they are both healthy. Tank is 7 and Gray-ce just turned two.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Barbara, and I'm glad to be of help to you, Tank, and Gray-ce today. The toxic dose of onions is 5g/kg of body weight. 85 pounds is 38.6kg, and 100 pounds is 45.5kg. Tank would have to have eaten 193 grams of onion, and Gray-ce 227.3 grams of onion. 1 gram is 0.0022 pounds so your onions had to have weighed 1/2 pound for Tank to have eaten a toxic dose, and a toxic dose for Gray-ce would have been about 0.6 pounds of onion. I strongly suspect that the onion in 4 onion rings didn't weigh even 1/2 pound, so even if one of your dogs ate them all there would be no systemic toxicity.

It is possible (but not probable) that the onion rings may cause some gastric irritation, and in this case there may be some nausea and decreased appetite.

Hope this helps you all! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Dr. Barbara

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Barbara

How are Tank and Gray-ce doing???? Do you have any further questions or concerns for me? If not, I'd greatly appreciate your rating our chat as this is the only way I can receive credit.

Thank you so much,

Dr. Barbara