Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 10 year old cocker has warts that have tripled in size

Customer Question

My 10 year old cocker has warts that have tripled in size the last few months. Is there a topical med that can be used to shrink them?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of these "warts" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

I believe that you're referring to sebaceous gland tumors which are quite common in the Cocker. These are usually solitary, firm, elevated, wartlike or cauliflower-like growths that range from a few millimeters to several centimeters in diameter. They don't respond to topicals; instead surgical excision (laser ablation or cryosergery) for cosmetically unacceptable lesions or for a lesion that bothers Phoebe (or you) is recommended.