Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Vomiting and not eating but drinking x 3 days, Mima, she is

Customer Question

vomiting and not eating but drinking x 3 days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mima, she is outside during the day, comes in at around 6 when I get home, 3 daqys ago she ate but vomitted at around 10pm, she has not really eaten since maybe picked at one or 2 morsals, but has not stopped drinking water, she is still vomitting.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mima?
Customer: I feed her tast of the wild
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: Taste*
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Mima's condition. It appears that she may have ingested something odd that has caused a minor digestive disturbance. Stress can do this also and we never know what will stress dogs. In most cases such as Mima's, follow these instructions:

Fast Mima for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes since this can stimulate the vomiting.
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Mima back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take her to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Wendy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta