Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Just wanted to know if these medications are consisted with

Customer Question

Hello, just wanted to know if these medications are consisted with a dog bite or just having arthritis in a dog. Rimadyl 100mg, Baytril 68.0mg Dexamethasome 2mg/ml injection, Polyflex 100mg/ml injection.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, these drugs can be used for multiple reasons. Though if Taylor is on Baytril and Polyflex (Ampicillin), these are supportive of a treatment for a bacterial infection and therefore would be used in a bite wound case.

In regards ***** ***** Rimadyl, this is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory used for pain and potentially of benefit for both arthritis and a dog bite wound (since both will be sore).

Finally, the Dexamethasone is a steroid. We can use it for pain but it should not be used the same time a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory is used. This is because they have the same effects but also can cause the same adverse effects (Gi upset, stomach ulcers, etc). So, one could use this instead of Rimadyl in an arthritis case. Though it would not be advisable in a bite case since it could dampen the immune system that is fighting off the infection. So, that would be a more arthritis appropriate treatment if used.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)