Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog is constipated

Customer Question

my dog is constipated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Harley is constipated, we would need to tread with care here. If he has had any appetite loss (a reason to not have stool to pass), belly pain or there is any chance he ate something that could have caused a blockage, then we'd want to have him seen urgently.

If those can be ruled out, there are a few gentle colon supportive measure you can take at home to encourage the feces to pass. First, we sometimes find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Further to all of this, if he is eating we can also consider mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage him to drink if he isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure he has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if he is won’t drink properly for you.

Overall, we do always need to be careful in cases of suspected constipation. Therefore, if we don't have those other signs just now, we can give him a bit of a "push" to pass feces. Though if you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today or see any of those other signs or straining; then we'd want to have his vet have a feel of his GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )