Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 26 pound dachshund just chewed up a bottle of liquid

Customer Question

My 26 pound dachshund just chewed up a bottle of liquid steroid (fluocinonide). From what I can tell, he got about 20 ML. I awoke to the sound of vomiting and severe diarrhea. He's VERY lethargic. I took him outside and he laid in the cold/wet grass and wouldn't budge, so I lifted him and brought him back inside. :(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: He's seven years old (approximately) and just had his yearly shots about four or five days ago.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What was the strength (milligrams/ml) of the fluocinonide?

Any black material or blood in the diarrhea?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Can he keep anything down?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm sad to tell you that he died within thirty minutes of asking the question. I took him to the 24-hour vet for cremation. :( Horrible, horrible night.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that he reacted so severely to the steroid cream.

I will pass your question back to customer service so they can refund you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. It's been a tearful night, to say the least. Thank you for your kindness.