How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16115
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have three dogs about 25 to 30 pounds each. They got into

Customer Question

I have three dogs about 25 to 30 pounds each. They got into a bottle of tynelol. Not sure how much they could of ate if they ate any at all but there was 10 left and was 24 total. I think I took at least 10 so maybe they got 4 if they did eat them. It's been about 5 hours since they are it and have no signs of any pain nor vomiting. Will they be ok if one of them did eat some ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your 25 to 30 pound pups got into a bottle of Tylenol and ate roughly four tablets. I assume these are the regular strength 325mg size?

We see toxicity symptoms in dogs at a dose of acetaminophen higher then 75 mg per kilogram (2.2 pounds per kilogram) of body weight.

At 25 pounds the smallest dog is 11.36 kilograms (2.2 pounds per kilogram), so he would need to eat 852mgs of acetaminophen. (11.36kg X 75mg/kg = 852mg) to see toxic signs.

The usual tablet size in milligrams is 325mgs, so if the 25 pound dog ate four of the 325mg size then he ate 1300mg, which is a toxic amount. If he ate three of them then he ate 975mgs, still a toxic amount, and if he ate two (650mgs) or less then that would not be a toxic amount.

At 30 pounds your other pup is 13.63kgs, so he would need to eat 1022mgs of acetaminophen (13.63 X 75mg/kg = 1022mgs).

If the 30 pound dog ate four of the 325mg size then he ate 1300mg, which is a toxic amount. If he ate three of them then he ate 975mgs, which is not a toxic amount.

After 5 hours it is probably too late to induce vomiting, but it would be worth getting your pups to an emergency clinic to have blood levels of acetaminophen checked, and give several doses of activated charcoal at 1 GRAM per pound of body weight, as if any ate all of the tablets they would get sick. They can also give drugs to counteract the toxin.

Signs to watch for with acetaminophen toxicity would be brown or gray colored gums, difficulty breathing, edema or swelling of the face, neck, legs or feet, vomiting, yellow color to the skin and in very severe cases coma. These symptoms can take hours to 1-2 days to start, so ideally we would start treatment now, even if they seem fine.

Although I recommend treating them tonight if you choose not to treat them at the emergency clinic I would encourage you to get them to drink plenty of water tonight and watch them closely, then have them see their regular veterinarian tomorrow.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were the extra strength at 500 mg a tablet. I'm not even sure any of the dogs got any pills, my fiancé found the puppy eating a pill but she didn't swollow it cause she didn't know how or what to do with it. Wouldn't they show signs right away like vomiting ? It would be very expensive as we don't know which dog ate some if any so we would have to take all three dogs in
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, that makes even two pills toxic for any of them, which is even more concerning.

They won't show signs right away, it can take 6 hours at least to as long as 24-36 hours for symptoms to become apparent.

And the trouble is by the time they start to show signs it is hard to reverse things. I know it would be expensive for 3 dogs. Perhaps just have them give the first dose of activated charcoal and then ask then to send home two to three more doses to be given at home.

If any of the dogs only ate one tablet then they should be fine, but there is just no way for us to know.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pups. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Related Dog Veterinary Questions