Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have two dogs. The senior dog is 15 yrs. he is not active

Customer Question

I have two dogs. The senior dog is 15 yrs. he is not active and age has him slowing down. He is on monthly flea meds only. I am concerned about giving too much drug medication because of any toxic affect it may have on him. The 5 mo. puppy is on flea and parasite meds. Is the senior dog at risk for intestinal parasites and fleas because he does not go outside the house and my other dog is protected. Both dogs share the same potty area and bedding.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Where exactly do you live?

What flea and parasite medication is your 5 month old puppy on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I live in Hawaii. Presently, the puppy is on Heartguard and Advantix II. Since I gave the last dose beginning March, I want to try something different. I prefer a chewable. I would like to get her on Revolution or Sentinel Spectrum since it is a broad coverage. My senior is strictly indoors except for an annual checkup at the vets. The girl is active and I would like to eventually take her to the dog park when she gets a little older. To this date, the senior has only been on heartguard for heartworm prevention and advantix II only as needed. I feel since the puppy will be protected from fleas it won't jump on the senior. Is he being protected enough from intestinal parasites if he doesn't go outdoors?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the information. If he never goes outside, then the risk of catching intestinal parasites is low. If he is on the Heartgard, though, hookworms and roundworms shouldn't be an issue. Now, it is very possible for you or your dog to track fecal matter inside by accident. If that fecal matter had intestinal worm eggs, then he will be exposed. As far as the fleas go, it really isn't that simple. Even on Advantix II, you can expect a few fleas to find their way onto your pup. NOTHING is 100% effective. Those fleas can find their way onto your older dog. In addition, flea eggs and larvae can be tracked inside without knowing. Just like a fly or other insect can find their way into your house, so can a flea. I have seen many indoor only cats with flea problems when not on prevention. It is no different for dogs. I can understand not wanting to use it on him, but Advantix II is such a safe medication, that I wouldn't worry about it. If it was an over the counter brand like Hartz or Sargent's, I would be more concerned. Keeping him off the prevention will definitely make your environment more open to a flea infestation. Once that is established, it takes a minimum of 2-3 months to get it back under control. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.