Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog got a leaf eye what to do, my dog got a small piece

Customer Question

my dog got a leaf eye what to do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my dog got a small piece of leaf in eye that wont come out
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your dog with a bit of leaf in the eye. What age, breed and sex is your dog please? When did you notice this? Does is seem to be in the corner of the eye by the nose? What color is it?

I will wait to hear from you.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its like about right side of the eye its brown and she a walker coon hound 9 yrs old notice it two days ago try flushing it out wont work
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience and for getting back to me so quickly with that extra info. There are a few things this 'leaf' could be, and while it is highly likely to be a foreign body in your girl's eye, there is a chance this could be her 'third eyelid'. I am sure you are aware of what this is and how to distinguish it and if this is the case, then we can be confident it is indeed a foreign object. Good on you for attempting to flush this object out. Don't try to wipe the object out as that could damage the surface of the eye the cornea.

Because this leaf could potentially scrape the corneal surface if it stays where it is, I would encourage a vet visit this evening, or tomorrow morning if possible. You have done about all you can from home, so don't try anything else as there is a chance you could make things worse here. Your vet will be able to place a local anesthetic on the eye in order to gently look behind the third eyelid and potentially remove the material with small opthalmic tweezers. If your girl is wriggly, then they will likely need some sedation for this procedure. It is likely that after that, all that will be needed is some anti inflammatories and some antibiotic eye drops for your girl.

If you can take her along in the morning, then tonight, you could gently wipe the eye with some cool tea. The tannins in the tea can help to settle mild conjunctivitis caused by irritation from this foreign object. Just boil up some fresh tea (black), let it cool, then use the tea on some cotton wool to gently wipe the eye 2 - 3 times tonight. As above - don't attempt to remove this now, as you could potentially either push it further behind the third eyelid, or cause damage to the cornea. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will visine hurt putting it in his eye
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.

No - definitely don't use any human eye medications including Visine as we don't know if your girl has an injury to the cornea. Stick with just plain water, or the boiled tea as discussed above until your can get your local vet to look at and potentially remove this object. They will then test the integrity of the cornea to make sure there isn't any damage, before prescribing a canine specific eye antibiotic.

Kind Regards,

Dr E