Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My puppy accidentally ingested a partial vial of Frontline

Customer Question

My puppy accidentally ingested a partial vial of Frontline Tritak flea treatment. He has vomited 4 times but seems to be doing better. Is there anything else I need to do in the meantime? He as a regular checkup appointment tomorrow afternoon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.
Dogs often vomit after frontline ingestion because the carrier is very irritating to the stomach. There are three ingredients in the Tritak. For two of them I know that they are not toxic (other than the stomach irritation). I need to do some research on the 3rd ingredient to see if it could cause any problems. Give me a few minutes and I will get back to you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thanks. I'm waiting...
The third ingredient is a synthetic pyrethroid. It can be toxic in higher doses. As long as he didn't get more that a normal dose for his size he shouldn't have any problems. However, I would monitor him in case he is particularly sensitive. It causes muscle tremors. If you see tremors or if the vomiting persists then he should go to a veterinarian for treatment. The only thing I might do is feed him a bland diet for a day or two (chicken and rice works). His stomach will likely be sensitive.
I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy