How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Stacy Your Own Question
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1555
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Stacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My puppy accidentally ingested a partial vial of Frontline

Customer Question

My puppy accidentally ingested a partial vial of Frontline Tritak flea treatment. He has vomited 4 times but seems to be doing better. Is there anything else I need to do in the meantime? He as a regular checkup appointment tomorrow afternoon.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.
Dogs often vomit after frontline ingestion because the carrier is very irritating to the stomach. There are three ingredients in the Tritak. For two of them I know that they are not toxic (other than the stomach irritation). I need to do some research on the 3rd ingredient to see if it could cause any problems. Give me a few minutes and I will get back to you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thanks. I'm waiting...
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.
The third ingredient is a synthetic pyrethroid. It can be toxic in higher doses. As long as he didn't get more that a normal dose for his size he shouldn't have any problems. However, I would monitor him in case he is particularly sensitive. It causes muscle tremors. If you see tremors or if the vomiting persists then he should go to a veterinarian for treatment. The only thing I might do is feed him a bland diet for a day or two (chicken and rice works). His stomach will likely be sensitive.
I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 8 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy