Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My brother has a golden retriever who is 14 and has liver

Customer Question

Hello! My brother has a golden retriever who is 14 and has liver problems. They live in the mountains, and he typically roams around outside. We came home and noticed that he had blood coming from his mouth and rectum
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He is still expelling blood from back side.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: 4 hours later
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Daz
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything we can do while we wait to take him in tomorrow? It is Easter Sunday and there is no one today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** and I'd like to be of help to you, your brother and Daz today.

I understand that Daz has liver problems and that you found him bleeding from his mouth and his rectum.

When dogs have liver disease they can become low on clotting factors and then not be able to clot their blood well. This may be what Daz is dealing with. These cases can be helped with supplemental Vit. K.

Would you tell me a little more about Daz? How long has he had liver disease and do you know the cause? Is Daz eating normally? Does he have normal stools with the normal brown coloration?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like he was bitten by something. He has the shivers as well.
Thanks for responding. What about him makes you think he was bitten by something? Also, when was his liver disease diagnosed? Finally, for right now!, will you please check his gums? Are they pink and moist and when you press on them does the color return in 2 seconds or less?
I'm trying to determine if this is an emergency situation that requires veterinary care there now.
Or we can continue in this chat. Whichever you prefer. . .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No normal stools today. Just raspberry diarrhea and blood
Does he also have blood coming from his mouth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not any more. Just his back side.
If he did have blood coming from his mouth plus his anus, then I'm very concerned that he can't properly clot his blood and that he is bleeding internally. Please check the color of his gums and let me know what they look like. Are they pink and moist with good color return when you press on them? Or are they pale, white or bluish and tacky?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just left the house. I will have to send the question to my brother. I will let you know in a few thank you.
OK, good!