Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dogs enzymes are over 1000 the Alta one s PCT and IDR and

Customer Question

My dogs enzymes are over 1000 the Alta one his PCT and IDR and PDT are also high,but not off the charts. He is a 10 year old Boston terrier that has a big appetite. In the past three days he has been turning away from his favorite foods and that is why we brought him to the vet. Does that mean he has cancer?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He has also me. Diagnosed with al small tumour on his gums. He also broke one of his larger teeth that we did not notice.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Boston terrier. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If his ALT is over 1000, that indicates that there is inflammation in his liver. The inflammation could be from infection, from blockage of the bile duct, from pancreatitis, intestinal inflammation, hepatitis. Cancer is a possibility as well, but high liver enzymes are not at all specific for any one condition. I have seen dogs with liver cancer that had normal liver enzymes.

Is he being treated for liver disease? Has an Xray or ultrasound been done to evaluate what his liver looks like? These would be the next steps to take if he is not doing well.

Do you have copies of the blood tests you can post here? I know what PCT is (if it is high it probably indicates dehydration), but not sure what IDR and PDT are!

Do you know his white blood cell count (WBC)? His albumin (ALB) or bilirubin?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The ALB Is normal at 34
The WBC which in French I believe is the GLOB is 35
They have put my dog on antibiotics, clavaseptin for the tooth and morphine for the pain and on Zentonin for his liver and Mittazapine for his appetite . Hills liver care food is what they recommended ,that he doesn't really like. Have to add a boiled egg to make him eat. He threw up for the first time today. His VGM is low. No X-ray or ultra sound has yet been done.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Good that the ALB is normal. ALB is made by the liver, so even if there is inflammation in the liver, liver function is still good.

GLOB is globulins, very different from WBC.

If the liver enzymes are elevated, that is not at all specific for any one particular liver condition. Treating with appetite stimulants, steroids, and supplements is a reasonable way to start. However, if you want to know what is going on in the liver, doing an ultrasound and possibly even using it to guide a needle to get a biopsy of the liver should tell you what liver condition he has.

Vomiting can be treated with famotidine (available over the counter), 5 mg per 10 to 20 pounds body weight, twice daily. Cerenia, a prescription medication is also good.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

How is your dog doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?