Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.

May have ate a small amout of d con. We are not sure. Our

Customer Question

May have ate a small amout of d con. We are not sure. Our dog appears to be a king ok.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy is a nine year old Springer Spanielle.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: Lucy did have an auto inmuine battle when she was about two years old. She has been health since that.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** and I'll be happy to help out today.

D-Con is very deadly in even just a small amount! If your dog ate this within the last 2 hours we need to cause him to vomit to evacuate any possible D-Con.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do we make the dog vomit?

With hydrogen peroxide. The dose is 1ml per pound of weight. How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
42-45 lbs

So 4045ml would be the best. This is 8- 9 teaspoons.

That's 40 - 45 ml.

After getting him to vomit, he should have activated charcoal to bind any remaining toxin into his gi tract and then passed out in feces. Following this treatment, he should be on daily Vit. K for 2 ti 3 weeks. This will take a prescription from your vet, and for that your vet will need to examine your dog and evaluate what he needs.

When he does vomit, please save the vomitus in a plastic bag so that your vet can examine it. D-Con is in blue granules usually.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. She did vomit. We can treats but no signs of d con. We will be home tomorrow and will see our vet about the Vit K. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome! After D-Con ingestion or possible ingestion, I us now andually also want to begin Vit. K, however, waiting a day or 2 is OK. If you have the D-Con box, please take that with you to the vet. Also, would you please let me know the active ingredient in what your dog ate. There are some older formulas that have been discontinued. Thanks!

Wow, sorry that was miss typed! I meant to say that I usually recommend Vit. K even with evacuation of the stomach. It's OK to start the Vit. K 1-2 days later.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks again. We will see our vet tomorrow. I mistyped also. We did see some treats our dog had ate after she vomited and we did not see any signs of the d con. We are hoping she did not actually eat any. Our dog was sniffing around a neighbors garage and did go up to the d con before we realized.

Don't forget to get that D-Con box if you can for your vet.

Hi! How's Lucy doing today? Did she see her vet there?

Do you have any further questions or concerns for me? If not, I'd greatly appreciate your rating as this is the only way I can receive credit for our chat.

Thank you,

Dr. Barbara