Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog isn't eating all s food since last night. This

Customer Question

My dog isn't eating all his food since last night. This morning he had a bloody diarrhea stool with some hard nuggets. I have a photo and gathered the stool just in case. What should I do? He is a 9 pound Chihuahua mix about 6 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that Maxwell has a mild digestive disturbance. This could be from something that he ingested or some form of stress. The blood is not as serious as you might think because when they have diarrhea, this irritates the very sensitive rectal mucosa and causes small blood vessels to break. Once this resolves, this will resolve also. For now, follow these instructions:

Fast Maxwell for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the diarrhea has resolved, then wean Maxwell back onto regular food. If the this persists and he still does not feel well especially during the fast, take your sweet Maxwell to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an infection.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****