Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog stomach is making very loud noise. What can I get m

Customer Question

Good morning, my dog stomach is making very loud noise. What can I get him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he eating and drinking?

2- Any vomiting or diarrhea?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1.No he's not eating, but he's drinking water.
2.No vomiting and last night a little diarrhea only once.
3. No other symptoms, only he's stomach is making growling sounds
4. He's 20 pounds

How long has it been since he last ate?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He hasn't eat, only my mother gave him half slice of cold cut

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the loud noises is created by the smooth muscle contraction in the gastrointestinal tract and gas. The big question is: Why is he not eating? You see, it is the stomach being empty that is creating the noise. Once he eats the sounds will get better. The fact that he had diarrhea further supports an underlying problem. Possible causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- Offer him a bland diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Try to force feed him, if possible blend the food and give him small amount with a turkey baster.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter