Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
If this has been within 2 hrs, it is best to induce vomiting by giving Pedro 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide or concentrated salt water per 5 pounds of his weight. After 15 minutes, if Pedro has not vomited up the chocolate, do it again. You can safely do this 3 times. This will remove all of the chocolate that Pedro had ingested and then he will be safe. The amount of sugar that may have gotten through could give Pedro a mild digestive disturbance and this can be resolved with Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound given every 8 hrs. Most of these chocolates are milk chocolate which are far less toxic than others but induce vomiting just to be safe.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.Sincerely, ***** *****