Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a Germany shepherd and she weighs 80 lbs. She is

Customer Question

I have a Germany shepherd and she weighs 80 lbs. She is almost constantly scratching and when she is outside she is on her back rolling and trying to scratch her back..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 3 and a half years old..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: I took her to the vet and he said I should Chang her food..I have tried about 7 different brands of food..She has been eating the best foods that they sell.I tried benadryl , but nothing works...
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the food that she is on now?

2- When you changed food did the brand have chicken, beef, etc.?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- How many milligrams of benadryl were you giving and how often?

5- Any lesions on the skin like: Redness, crusty, etc.?

6- Did your vet do a skin scrapping?

7- Is she currently on any medication?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is on Rachael Ray "Dish" now. Some of the brands had those and some did'nt..She weighs 80 lbs. I give her 45 mgs. of benadryl daily.No lesions but it looks like dandruff on her skin..They never scrapped her to my knowledge..She is not on any meds.

1- How many times a day are you giving her Benadryl?

2- How often are you bathing her?

3- What shampoo do you use?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I give her 25 mgs. 3 times a day. I bath her maybe once a week..The shampoo is another thing that I have changed several times..Pet Shop brands vet brands and Walmart brands..nothing works!!

Friend, give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When it warms up a little I am trying salt water swimming, I heard that might help..

Friend, certainly this could be related to allergies as your vet suspected. But, if you are bathing her once a week and are seeing dandruff in her skin it is possible she could have a dry coat, which would be very itchy.

It is also important to remember that when doing a food trial you should place the patient on a diet with a source of protein that they seldom ate in the past. Or, try a hypoallergenic diet like Hill's z/d. This is what you can try:

1- Change her diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d, this is a hypoallergenic diet only available through a veterinarian. Or, you can try a grain free diet with a different source of protein than what she normally has had in the past. For example: If she seldom ate fish then put her on a grain free diet with fish. When on this diet she should not eat anything else (no table food) or she will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. For treats you can give veggies like: Broccoli, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.

2- Continue on Benadryl.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- Bath her once every 21 days and use an oatmeal based shampoo.

5- If after doing the above there is no improvement I would have her re-checked by family veterinarian. Discuss with your vet about doing a skin scrapping, if negative consider a trial with allergy medications like apoquel.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter