Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just dislocated her dew claw and seems to be in pain.

Customer Question

My dog just dislocated her dew claw and seems to be in pain. It was bleeding, but it's not bleeding anymore. Should I wrap it, or let her lick it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, you absolutely need to keep Zoey from licking this dew claw. Dog's saliva is full of bacteria and letting her lick could cause secondary infection. So, we need to keep it covered or use an e-collar to block her access.

Otherwise, we also need to consider the nails current state. If she fully removed the nail, that is good and they often heal without issue. Though if the nail is cracked, partially removed, or there any bit of nail left (instead of just an exposed clean red nail bed), then we may need to have her vet remove that left over/compromised nail. If we don't, they can continue to cause pain and dogs tend to remain lame and try to lick/chew the area. So, we need a good look at that nail and if there is an left with the nail bed exposed, we'd want to have this checked as the remaining nail may need removal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)