Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog sounds like he has a stuffy nose and congested, Dinky

Customer Question

My dog sounds like he has a stuffy nose and congested
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dinky is 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dinky?
Customer: No...I just got over a I was thinking he got it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Dinky. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a large range of possible causes for Dinkey's congestion and stuffy nose, however he won't have got your cold - so don't worry about that. The common human cold can't be spread to dogs (which is a relief). Dinkey's congestion could be caused by anything from a seasonal allergy, to a bacterial rhinitis, canine influenza or kennel cough, or even due to a foreign body that has gone up and over his soft palate. You are going to need to keep a close eye on Dinky and if his congestion worsens in the next day or so, you will definitely need to get him seen.

It sounds like he is otherwise ok and eating/drinking fine which is great. For the rest of the evening you can keep an eye on Dinky's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As this congestion could definitely be due to a seasonal allergy (especially now it is spring), you may want to try some Benadryl. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here:

Best of luck with Dinky and if his parameters above aren't normal, then do get him seen today. Hopefully his symptoms slowly improve over the next day or two. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.