Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

I have a female wiener dog and I came home from work and she

Customer Question

I have a female wiener dog and I came home from work and she was fine for the first hour. I went to the kitchen to get a drink and she was crouched on the floor still in the same spot since the last time I saw her which was 30 min ago. I tried to get her to pee and she won't come to me and when she moved from the spot there was a small pee spot under her. She keeps licking her crotch area.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did find out that I had given her a 3 month old treat that I just bout from the store. And when I came home from work she had pooped on the carpet and there was one spot in the carpet that was a little brown piece but is had a clear slime near it.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl who has been behaving differently since you got home today. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 10 - 15 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with your girl. The small amounts of urine she has been producing could be a sign of a urinary tract infection which are actually quite common in female dogs. Given the nature of her peeing where she is laying however, we even have to consider whether she could have urinary crystals, a bladder stone, or even a form of incontinence. If she seems distressed or uncomfortable, then you would be best to get her seen by your local ER vet now if you can. Given she doesn't want to move from her spot and that she is licking her crotch - these symptoms could definitely be a sign that she is in pain. Continue to keep a close eye on her if you can.

The treat you gave sounds interesting, and it sounds like this may have caused some gastrointestinal upset, but this is a separate issue to the urinary one. If he feces looked a little slimy, this is likely 'colitis' - inflammation of the colon. To resolve this, don't give your girl any other treats or snacks over the next few days, and stick with her regular food ongoing.

In case there is something more serious going on here, you will need to continue to monitor your girl. For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

All the best with your girl and if these small spots of urine continue (along with her licking her crotch), then you will definitely need to get her seen today. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.