Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Falling over,lethargic ,sleepy,Che did eat some leaves of a

Customer Question

Falling over,lethargic ,sleepy,Che did eat some leaves of a philodan plant this am
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear a,little chawowa give months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Five months
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Philodendron can be toxic to dogs because they contain insoluble calcium oxalates which can cause oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. Falling over, lethargy, and somnolence (sleepiness) aren't expected. Those are signs of a profoundly weakened dog and they require the services of an on call/ER vet at your earliest convenience. I hope that you've already had Bear attended to by such a vet. Please give me an update on Bear if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?