Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 7lbs Pomeranian, TJ was attacked by a Great Dane puppy

Customer Question

My 7lbs Pomeranian, TJ was attacked by a Great Dane puppy today at the dog beach. The Dane picked him up around his neck area and swung him around a bit for about 10 seconds before the owners where able to get him to drop TJ. Afterwards, TJ squealed for a bit before he calmed down enough for us to check him for wounds. He seemed fine and was walking just fine so we took him home.
I noticed after we got to the car that he won't let us put pressure on his right shoulder. I checked the area carefully for puncture wounds but didn't see anything. Should I be worried? He's eating and drinking water just fine. Just looks really tired.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to recognize that crushing injuries due to jaws can cause extensive but invisible damage to the eye. An on-call/ER vet should carefully examine TJ for full-thickness bite wounds and if found administer a broad spectrum antibiotic within 36 hours of the bite wound lest abscessation arise. At the least, TJ should be administered a combination of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam and a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol. He's going to become progressively painful over the next few days.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.