Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 7 year old Borzoi is acting off she is uncomfortable and

Customer Question

My 7 year old Borzoi Bitch is acting off she is uncomfortable and when she is sleeping her breaths are shallow and quick.
Her stool is sticky and dark.
Her Temp. Is normal
I had to treated her sister for hook worm recently, she was passing blood. She is fine now.
Does hookworm cause pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, hookworms can cause a plethora of symptoms and clinical signs vary based on the degree of blood loss and chronicity of parasitism. Pale mucous membranes are the hallmark due to the bloodsucking activity of adult hookworms. I would assume that activity to be painful. Tachypnea (increased respiratory rate/"breaths are shallow and quick") as well as tachycardia (increased heart rate), weakness, or obtundation can result if she were in hemorrhagic shock.

All exposed dogs should have been treated when her sister was treated. Be that as it may, it's important to recognize that her discomfort and tachypnea while sleeping concomitant with a sticky and dark stool are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of hookworms or any one particular disorder. These are symptoms best investigated by her vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.