Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

The bridge of nose is swollen, her left ear is pink and

Customer Question

The bridge of nose is swollen, her left ear is pink and irritated on the inside. I can feel a swollen area of the ear and she has vomitted 4 times since this afternoon. Took fir a run up here in the mountains, she ran all over the place
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not sure, might have found something when she was running around.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Penny, mini dauchaund, 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: Not that I know of.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Penny. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could have caused this swelling on Penny, including direct trauma to the nose leading to soft tissue swelling, or more likely an allergic reaction or bee/bug sting/bite given her ear is also involved. You will need to keep a close eye on this swelling and if it increases anymore you will definitely need to get Penny seen and ER vet tonight. Likewise, keep a close eye on her breathing tonight. If she seems to have any issues breathing, this is also a sign of a potential allergic/anaphylactic reaction. Your local ER vet would be able to give an injection of antihistamine and steroid to help reverse the symptoms here. It is also likely that the vomiting is related as well, although we also have to consider a toxicity for all of her symptoms here as well. If the vomiting continues and/or the swelling worsens definitely take her along to your local ER vet.

In the meantime, some benadryl is a good idea in case this is an allergic reaction. The typical dose for this type of scenario is 1mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: .

Hopefully the swelling subsides very soon. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.