Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My baby started vomiting yesterday, it was byle fluids. She

Customer Question

My baby started vomiting yesterday, it was byle fluids . She ate and today she has Diarrheal, the diiarllea looks like brite red blood.Please What can I give Her ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your min pin mix girl. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are quite a number of possible causes for your girl's vomiting and diarrhea over the last day or so including anything from an acute gastroenteritis, to a toxicity or poisoning, to even an internal organ or endocrine problem. You will need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl overnight if you can. For now, you need to start her on a bland diet - but not until the morning. For this, cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is fine. Also make sure she is up to date with her deworming treatments tomorrow and use a reliable product like Drontal or Milbemax for this. For now you need to make sure your girl is drinking plenty of water and is able to keep it down. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then she will very quickly become dehydrated. If this is the case, then you need to get her along to your local ER vet right now if you can.

As she is likely still nauseous, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here:

Hopefully she settles now. The diarrhea will likely continue, but keep an eye on it. IF there is only a little fresh blood, then this is likely due to inflammation of the colon - colitis. If there is a lot of fresh blood, then this could be a sign of a toxicity, a blood clotting issue or an infectious cause - in which case you are best to get her to the vet now. For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.