How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask petdrz Your Own Question
petdrz, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7305
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
petdrz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She ate rat poison :/ she still a puppy she 2 mnths, i just

Customer Question

hi, she ate rat poison :/ she still a puppy she 2 mnths
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the puppy ate?
Customer: i just cant affort a vet n there all close :/... i think rat poison
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

If ingestion of rat poison is possible, inducing emesis is important. That's done by dosing her with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight by means of an eydropper or small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Keep me posted, please.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
something white came out of her mouth
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

She vomited a white substance?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no her mouth came out white bubbls
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

That sounds like the peroxide bubbling up. We need to get her to vomit. Please give her another dose of the peroxide.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thats wats happening :'(
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

Thank you. Perhaps she didn't ingest anything. There's nothing that looks like rat poison which is most often green and hard to miss. There are two main types of rat poison. One causes uncontrollable bleeding in up to 4 days. The other (bromethalin) causes muscle tremors, hyperexcitation, or seizures within hours after exposure. A more insidious sign - hind limb paresis (weakness) can set in up to 5 days or more later. Keep a watch on the pup, please. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  petdrz replied 10 months ago.

It appears that you have requested a new answer. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you, but I do not see any follow up or question. Is there anything in particular that you needed help with?

Related Dog Veterinary Questions