Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Last night her skin on one side of her face was bright red,

Customer Question

last night her skin on one side of her face was bright red, with some kind of dirt in her hair and her face was swelling on that side. I gave her a benedryl and the swelling went down and she slept well. Today, she appeared to have a little blood in her diarrhea and has been throwing up since yesterday before the benedryl and can't seem to keep any water down.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: we live in a wooded area with foxes on the property, a variety of spider and anything else you can think of. She is a 13 year old toy fox terrier who survived cancer about 6 years ago.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: and has a collapsing trachea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

This does sound like an envenomation, Bob. Do you have venomous snakes where you live?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Doctor. In my neck of the woods they are few and far between. There are different types of bees/hornets and I've see a few in the area. She is a typical hyper little terrier and eat nuts from trees, name it.

Thank you for the additional information. If we can rule out snakes, her prognosis becomes much better. She appears to be suffering a systemic hypersensitivity reaction, however, because gastrointestinal distress is present along with her angioedema (facial swelling). Treatment of these patients is supportive and symptomatic - supplemental fluids to replace those lost in vomitus and/or diarrhea, and antiemetics and antacids to control her vomiting. It's difficult to treat these dogs at home because anything given orally is likely to come back up. Unless she remisses unaided in the next 12 hours, it would be prudent to have an on-call/ER vet attend to her.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.