Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

He was vomitting frothy slimy liquid this morning, And then

Customer Question

Hi! He was vomitting frothy slimy liquid this morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: And then now he pooped like it was water
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buster, he's 3 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buster?
Customer: He did eat some of my boyfriend's sandwich last night
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools and some vomiting this morning.

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with his digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, repeated vomiting, decreased appetite

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours to help settle his stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 0.5 mg/pound daily
- Wait 30 minutes then begin white rice and lean boiled meat such chicken in small more frequent meals
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools beginning later this evening

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of return of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I hope your dog is feeling better today and you were able to view my responses...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Alyssa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman