Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 11 month old puppy which was spayed 9 days ago. My

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 11 month old puppy which was spayed 9 days ago. My question is, is it normal for dogs to tremble / shiver more than a week after being spayed? After 3 days the vet gave her antibiotics and anti-inflammatory shots cause her incision was leaking quite a bit of fluid. That has stopped but the trembling still continues.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie. Yes the vet is out of town due to the holiday week-end. That is why. I am seeking help online.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: Just that she is exhibiting aggression towards our other dog, which she never did before the spay.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Charlie. While I'd like to see my patient normalize by 9 days post-surgery, some dogs will remain painful as evidenced by trembling/shivering if their internal organs were handled more roughly than necessary and/or the incision remains inflamed, infected, or a seroma had formed underneath the suture line - as seemed to be the case. Her aggression toward your other dog suggests that she remains uncomfortable. A narcotic analgesic such as tramadol can be added to her antiinflammatory medication. As long as she continues to eat and is otherwise well, you can continue to "watchful wait". If there are skin sutures to remove, it would be prudent to leave them in for a minimum of 14 days to give the incision additional time to heal completely.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.