Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog is 14 years old and is known disgusting things out in

Customer Question

My dog is 14 years old and is known for eating disgusting things out in the yard. Yesterday morning when I took him out in the morning he had diarrhea and would not eat his breakfast. He proceeded to throw up 3 separate times that morning. He hasn't thrown up at all since yesterday but has had diarrhea. He still is not interested in eating his regular food, but will eat treats. He is drinking lots and lots of water and sleeping a lot as well. I saw him stumble and fall today and I am so worried. I don't want to over react but I also don't want to under react.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Mr Miagi (great name!). I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. He is a pug by the way
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Mr Miagi's symptoms yesterday and today are definitely quite concerning and given his age we need to consider a range of possible causes for these symptoms. His vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance and stumbling could be due to anything from an acute gastroenteritis, to a toxicity or poisoning, to an internal organ or endocrine issue given his age. You will definitely need to continue to monitor him quite closely and potentially take him in to your local ER vet today if he doesn't improve. The fact he is drinking a lot more water than usual (and likely urinating more) does potentially point to an internal organ or endocrine issue. This could be anything from diabetes, a kidney issue or cushing's disease to name a few possible causes. Because of the potential for one of these issues, I would actually encourage you to get him seen now if you can. Here the ER vet can carry out a full physical exam as well as run a senior dog blood test to rule out some of these possibilities. For now, continue to give him access to plenty of water and let him drink as much as he needs to.

If you can't get him seen right now, then please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with your Pug boy and as above, given his age and these symptoms, this would definitely warrant a vet visit today if you can get him seen. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi Candace,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mr. Miagi. How is everything going?
Pet Doc