Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.

Mis it free, My 12 year old shitzu has had a discharge from

Customer Question

mis it free
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: My 12 year old shitzu has had a green discharge from his right eye. I remove it and it keeps coming back. What do I clean his eyes out with?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: +Gemini
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about +Gemini?
Customer: He has some fear going down stairs out of the house but not climbing back up
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** and I will be happy to help you and Gemini today.

I'm sorry to hear that Gemini is having an eye problem. The discharge you are describing indicates that there is definitely and inflammation of his eye and probably an infection also. You can clean his eye (or around his eye) with warm water, or you could get an over the counter eye cleaner/moisturizer called Genteal Tears or other artificial tear products. These would be fine to actually instill in Gemini's eye as you can flush with these.

There are several possible causes for the discharge.

These include generalized infections, a wound of the cornea or blunt trauma, a foreign body that has gotten stuck in the eye, eye lashes that are growing the wrong direction and rubbing the cornea, inner eye infections, glaucoma, etc.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I saw saline solution then aloe Vera then collodalsilver

I'd recommend the saline solution.

For how long has Gemini had this discharge? Also, has he been rubbing at the eye? Is he squinting the eye?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2 weeks whatwhat's up with his fear of going up and down stairs
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Rather down the stairs apiece OK upstairs he comes back OK is just going to downstairs

He may not be seeing well from the eye.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any chance of infection and do I take him to a vet

Since this hasn't improved in 2 weeks, I do recommend that you have him evaluated by your vet. It is possible for you to clean the eye with saline, but it is the cause of. . .yes. . .you are headed the same direction that I was going!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks do I get saline solution at the drugstore

Determining the cause of the discharge will lead to correct treatment and resolution of the problem.

Since dry eye is fairly common in dogs, I do recommend that you put nothing in Gemini's eye the day of his appointment. This way, your vet will be able to accurately check Gemini's tear production without just measuring the eye drops in his eye.

Hi. . .how are things going for Gemini this morning?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Barbara
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 6 months ago.

Sure hope that all is going well for you and Gemini!? Do you have any further questions or concerns for me? If not, I'd really appreciate your rating as this is the only way I get credit for our chat.

Have a peaceful night,

Dr. Barbara