Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

She's has just finished antibiotics and is now having

Customer Question

She's has just finished antibiotics for trachititis and is now having frequent episodes of ?reverse sneezing, she has had a few previously, maybe 1 Every few months but today she has had 3 already
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Izzie, she's nearly 4, black lab, slightly overweight
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Izzie?
Customer: Don't think so, we had her at the vets last week, she likes eating stones!! But we can usually retrieve them or she she will pass them one way or another! Bark is fine, she walks 2 or 3 miles x 2 a day
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Izzie.

As you may already know, reverse sneezing, is considered a normal reflex to an irritant in the posterior (the nasopharynx). Any nasal, pharyngeal, or sinus irritation can result in a reverse sneeze.

When a dog only occasionally reverse sneezes, then I don't worry about it too much. I'll often suggest that owners give over the counter Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) for episodes such as Izzie is having. The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day with sedation a possible side effect.

When (or if) the condition becomes chronic (because is doesn't in most patients), then the following are possible explanations:

1. Nasal mites but may be difficult to find.
Treatment is fairly easy, though, with Ivermectin given every week for three doses. I'll often treat my patients for these mites before pursuing any additional testing.

2. Foreign bodies such as a blade of grass or foxtail. Often sedation with rhinoscopy is needed to detect such a problem.

3. Allergies or rhinitis/sinusitis which may be more challenging to diagnose without additional testing but response to medication can often help to rule them in or out.

4. Polyps or masses which are best diagnosed with an MRI and possible rhinoscopy and resultant biopsy.

5. Unknown

6. Lower airway diseases can result in secretions that are coughed up; these may irritate the nasopharynx resulting in a reverse sneeze.

At this point, if she were my patient, I'd give her Benadryl as I mentioned which may be all she needs to stop this behavior.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.
Hi Carly,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb