Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I brought my dog to the vet yesterday and theyou said he has

Customer Question

Phyllis I brought my dog to the vet yesterday and theyou said he has an anal tumor
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What can i do for him, he's a longhaired chihuahua and 10 years old. I just though his anal glands were infected. They said it's cancer What can i do for him. I had him since he was a baby. I read up on this type of tumor and it doesn't sound good.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Phyllis. First of all it's important that an anal sac adenocarcinoma be differentiated from a perianal adenoma/adenocarcinoma. Anal sac adenocarcinomas are very aggressive tumors which are likely to have already metastasized by the time of diagnosis. They require wide surgical exicision and a search for metastases is essential prior to such extensive surgery because obvious metastases might preclude such surgery. Ancillary chemotherapy is usually recommended for these cancers. Do you know if your dog's tumor involves his anal sac or is the tumor involving only his anus - a perianal adenoma/adenocarcinoma?

A perianal adenoma, however, might result in full or partial tumor regression if an intact male is castrated. Tumors that persist after castration should be removed surgically. For histologically confirmed perianal adenocarcinomas, however, wide surgical resection is indicated.

Biopsy is usually performed after surgical excision which avoids having to anesthetize your dog twice - once for a biopsy and a second time for surgical excision. Here is a summary of the prognosis and outcome for perianal adenoma/adenocarcinoma:

1) For benign perianal adenomas, prognosis is excellent.

2) Adenocarcinomas can recur locally and have a 16% metastasis rate. Tumors larger than 5 cm in diameter are more likely to recur and those dogs are more likely to die of their disease.

3) The prognosis worsens with lymph node/distant metastasis.

4) For dogs with adenocarcinomas less than 5 cm in diameter and greater than 5 cm in diameter without evidence of metastasis, the median survival is 24 and 12 months, respectively.

5) For dogs with adenocarcinomas that exhibit evidence of local or distant metastasis, the median survival is 7 months.

Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.