Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My six month puppy ate half of my mother's ranitidine pill

Customer Question

My six month puppy ate half of my mother's ranitidine pill (150mg). Is this serious? Should I take her to the vet? I know my last dog was on a the same pills for his stomach problems but I wasn't sure about the milligrams. She weighs approximately 22lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I want to make sure I understand this situation completely. So this girl ate about 1/2 of a single 150 mg ranitidine pill? How long ago did this happen? Does she have any other health issues or is on any other medications?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We were cleaning the bedroom and there was a pill on the floor. She grabbed it and chewed it up. It seemed like maybe half at most was swallowed. She's completely healthy otherwise, no medications.

That is good. This shouldn't be a bad situation. This drug is an H2 blocker and these are tolerated pretty well by canines. If 1/2 of a 150 was eaten, that gives a dose consumed of about 75 mg. A 22 pound dog is 10 kg's. So the mg/kg dose is 7.5 mg /kg. When being used for treatment, it is dosed around 1-2 mg / kg q 12 hours. A dose of 7.5 mg / kg isn't that much above this and really shouldn't be expected to cause any problems. There really isn't any need for specific treatment at this time.