Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

S iron is low and is suffering from CRF. Just started beet

Customer Question

his iron is low and is suffering from CRF. Just started beet juice for him
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: also let me know the charges for consultaion
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: hes looking weak., ie., very lethargy
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: browine 13
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Browine?
Customer: and his eyesights has become very weak
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: we have started homoeopathy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

I am so sorry that no one was able to respond to you until now! My name is***** and I'm here to help you and Brownie if you are still in need.

I understand that he has chronic renal failure and anemia is a condition that usually does occur with this. What caused his CRF and for how long has he been dealing with this?

Oh, I just saw that you have started homeopathy. Are you under a homeopathic veterinarian's care?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's having cRF since 2009 and the creat is 4.2 and he's stable with this value. We exactly don't know how he got this one could be possible because of pedigree dog food where in the fluid consumption was very less. He's finish Spitz bread. We occasionally give him NS iv fluid sub cut we we find him to be low or dull. Lately his haemoglobin had dropped and we gave him wepox 2000 where his values came up. We have started with beetroot juice and we feed him renal food royal canine, oats cooked in water with egg white and chicken broth with rice. That's his daily diet. Medicine - we regularly give him ENam 5mg, amlokind 2.5 mg for blood pressure as was a bit high 160-180 and Dexorange for iron. Very important his lost his vision but sometimes he's able to see and hence along with allopathic medicine we have started homeopathy to keep the creat stable, for his vision and pressure.. Could you recommend something for his eyesight? And anything else that we can add to his diet etc. We r also giving him pressure point as and when needed plus black tea every day in the morning. Regards

Well, my previous reply seems to have disappeared. First of all I am not well versed in alternative medicine, and ultimately I will opt out so that an alternative medicine vet could pick this up. Also, the drugs you mention have unfamiliar names, but I was able to determine all but ENam, so if you could give me more information about that I would appreciate it.

Brownie responded well to the Wepox I am assuming, and indeed this is what he needs. In CRF the kidneys don't produce the necessary erythropoetin to stimulate the bone marrow to produce red blood cells. This will measure as low in iron, but what Brownie really needs is to have the Wepox continued so that his bone marrow can respond adequately. Giving him the Dexorange will help provide the iron he will need to produce those red blood cells.

Amlokind is Amlodipine for us in the US, and this should help with Brownie's blood pressure.

Regarding Brownie's diet, I would recommend that he only eat the Royal Canin Renal Diet as this is complete an balanced. Adding the egg whites will add more protein and possibly the chicken broth also does this. Of course, it is very important that Brownie eat, so if this is how you get him to eat, then so be it! I would just minimize the rice, egg white and chicken broth and oats, to maintain the balance that Royal Canin veterinary nutritionists have formulated.

Do you have any more information about his intermittent vision loss? Does he have retinal disease? Does he have cataracts? More information may be very helpful.

So. . .before I exit, I'd like to know more about ENam, the purpose of the beetroot juice and the black tea. Is he on any other homeopathic remedies?

Hi! How are things going for you and Brownie? Do you have any further concerns or questions for me?

If not, I'd greatly appreciate your rating as this is the only way I get credit for our chat.

Thank you so much,

Dr. Barbara