Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I need to get to a hurt dog he willnt let anyone near I have

Customer Question

I need to get to a hurt dog he willnt let anyone near I have buspirone. Sertraline and benadryl .which would be the better drug to relax him enough to get hands on him
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 85 lb dog 5 years old
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, none of those drugs will act in a manner in which it would be helpful for your purposes. The maximum dose of Benadryl for an 85 lb dog is 50 mg and that won't cause enough sedation. While buspirone is rapidly and completely absorbed, the fact that it needs to be passed through the liver limits its bioavailability to ~5%. It can take a week or more to become effective and so it's not appropriate for acute treatment. Sertraline can cause lethargy but paradoxical anxiety, irritability and hyperactivity can also occur when dosed at the recommended dose of 0.5- 2 mg/lb.

A vet would need to prescribe the tranquilizer Acepromazine - the drug of choice in situations such as yours but if the vet hasn't seen this hurt dog it's unlikely to be prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?