Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Puppy 11months old Lhasa apso degenerative joint disease

Customer Question

puppy 11months old Lhasa apso
degenerative joint disease left shoulder - growth plate closed prematurely
Why? Nutritional? Injury? Hereditary? Tx cost?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely this is a hereditary condition common in these small breeds. It may be a premature closure of the distal ulnar physis causing deviations of the affected leg. This will require surgery to repair by a Veterinary Orthopedic Doctor and prices of this procedure vary with the vet and location. Since your young sweety is so young, this procedure would eb curative and give your sweety a long and happy life. There are other hereditary issues that can cause this that the specialist will discuss with you if this in not the distal ulnar physis.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta