Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog just ate a blob of terro, an ant bait containing

Customer Question

My dog just ate a blob of terro, an ant bait containing sodium tetra borate decahydrate. She weighs 10 lbs, the blob was about nickel size
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, is it going to make her very Ill or kill her
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

Any drooling, gagging, or vomiting at this stage?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but wanted to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now the good news is that borax isn't something we'd want her to eat but it is a chemical that dogs tolerate in small doses. Therefore, we'd only expect mild GI upset if she had a blob of this chemical.

Therefore, while we can induce vomiting or treat with activated charcoal, these aren't really necessary. Instead, we can rinse her mouth to remove any residue but plan to treat for any GI upset if seen. To To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if she appears nauseous, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But otherwise, we'd not expect any major issue here for your lass.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)