Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My name is ***** *****. The last couple of days we noticed

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****. The last couple of days we noticed little spots of blood on the floor. I found that it is coming from his penis. What could be the problem
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It just started a couple of days ago. It is not all day. Mostly I've noticed it in the morning
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is he? Is he neutered?

Blood from the penis can indicate a bladder infection, prostate problem, injury to his penis, or (if he is not neutered) benign prostatic bleeding. If he were mine, I would begin with a urinalysis to check for infection and I would feel his prostate (internal exam through the rectum). I would push the penis out of its sheath to look for a cut or bruising.

If he is not neutered, and this is benign prostatic bleeding, neutering him will stop the problem. If it is a bladder infection, a course of antibiotics should stop the blood.

Let me know if this is helpful, and if I can answer anything else.